Linksys router question

Matt G linux at bizniche.com
Mon Dec 29 06:05:21 CST 2003

> I just picked up a Linksys Wireless 4-port router for the home, I have
> another Linksys -- the Cable/DSL router.  I was hoping to get both working
> on my network.  Right now I've got the standalone router unplugged and the
> wireless 4-port in it's place.  The problem is, that's in the
> basement.  Ideally I wanted the wireless to be upstairs where I could get
> good signal through the entire house.  Any suggestions on how I can go
> about this?   I *thought* I could figure this one out . .. I plugged into
> the internet side of the wireless router and it found my cable/dsl router
> and got an IP, gateway, and DNS info through DHCP.  I assigned the
wireless
> to assign from 192.168.1.200 on up and the normal router from 100 on up.
> don't know if there is something that I need to do for bridging the two
> networks ? ? ? ?

I wrestled with this for a while at my place.  My linksys wired router does
the dhcp etc, and I wanted my belkin wireless router to do the bridging, so
everything was on the same network.

Here is the link from TomsHardware that got me going in the right direction.
http://www4.tomshardware.com/network/20030716/

My wireless router has an access-point-only function, but I could _not_ get
it to work correctly.  This info from tomshw did the trick in 15 mins.

Matt