Lexmark Printer - Hip deep & sinking

Robert Kennedy erwin_k_r at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 26 20:19:54 CST 2003

Hi All,

Well, the wife got me a Lexmark Z25 printer for
Christmas. Big surprise, she called from Sam's Club
asking what what version of Linux I run. I am
surprised that she found the fine print that says it
works with RH 7.0, Mandrake 7.2, & Suse 7.0. I
currently run Suse 7.3.

Anyway, the Z25 is not supported in the 7.3 distro, so
I went to Lexmark.com. They offer the file
CJLZ35LE-1.0-1.TAR.gz for my system.  The website
makes it clear that the drivers for the Z25 & Z35 are
the same. I downloaded it & unpacked it.

You get two files a txt readme and
"lexmarkz35-1.0-1.qz.sh". (Note that is QZ, not GZ.)

The readme says:

Printer Software files.
1. Download the cjxZyylq.tar.gz file from the Lexmark
Web site, where yy is the printer number and q is the
language denotation. Once downloaded, uncompress the
file using the gunzip utility, and untar the file
using the tar utility.

2. Type:
	sh lexmarkz25-z35.gz.sh

3. Most Lexmark Z25-Z35 Printer Software files will be
copied to the directory
/usr/local/lexmark/z25-z35/

Well, I've typed that sh command as written, with the
name of the file that I unpacked, with a full pathname
to that file. The file is located in my home
directory.I once double clicked on the file in
Konqueror. A box came up that said "Lexmark Printer
Install" or something. No other texed appeared and the
box quickly vanished.

My head is making funny noises hitting the wall.

Any help appreciated.

Bob Kennedy