Debian Question - Getting latest versions of apps...

Matt Graham linux at bizniche.com
Fri Dec 26 05:56:43 CST 2003

Hey guys.

So, I got debian running and the dual boot works just fine.

I was also able to get the xserver running and kde etc.  I've been
playing with synaptic as well as commandline apt.  I'm new to running
debian on a desktop environment, but have been on my little server for 6
months or so.

I ran apt to install ximian evolution, and I for version 1.0.5.  I know
they're up past 1.2 now, so it brings up this question.  Isn't there a
way to make your system less stable, but able to get more up-to-date
apps from apt?  I thought it was something like you upgrade to some
experimental version, or change your apt conf stuff to point to unstable
sources.

I want to install some newer stuff, and I'd like to use apt, rather than
a ximian tool or something...unless there are some apps that only get
installed by 3rd party tools.

Thanks in advance for any advise.

Matt