mount question

pamisano at kc.rr.com pamisano at kc.rr.com
Fri Dec 26 06:07:06 CST 2003

I have a freebsd drive I have attached to my linux laptop.  I would like to know if when I mount
this drive, using mount -t ufs, if linux tries to write to this drive.

The problem I am having is this:

I have the freebsd drive attached to a firewire write block device.  I have tried to mount the
drive using:
 mount -t ufs /dev/discs/disc1/disc /mnt/subject
and receive the error:
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on disk, or too many mounted file systems

I know the drive is good, because I took it out of my freebsd system.  fdisk -l reveals that it is
indeed a freebsd fs.

I am thinking that if linux is trying to write to the drive and the write block device is
preventing this, that is causing the error.  Unfortunately I am using my laptop, at the inlaws,
without any other way to test my theory.

any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Pete

P.S. Happy Holidays Everyone.
P.S.S. Xandros review coming soon, I like it so far.