Make?

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Thu Dec 25 19:29:32 CST 2003

On Wednesday, December 24, 2003 10:48 pm, Katherine Chant wrote:

>I DL dvdread, in gzip form.  Unzip, try to make.
>Nope, says no makefile (when I can see
> that there is a Makefile.in and a Makefile.am in said folder).

But no "makefile".  I suggest that you look for README and read it, then look
for INSTALL and read it.  They will probably tell you, as Bill did, to run a
configuration script first.

> So I'm thinking, rpm, not so clean, but hey, I'm daring.

But it will keep track of what's installed, what it links to, and what links
to it, and if you istall something that requires the package you just
installed, it won't ask you to install it again.

It's not clear what you tried to do or what your error message was in RPM, but
you woul d have to be using an RPM package, not a source package.

I've seen a recommendation I would like to learn to follow: when you have a
source pacakge it's not too tough to build an RPM out of it, then install the
RPM.  That will take care of entering it into the dependencies database, and
allow you to use RPM to manage upgrades and removal (whch can be a MAJOR PAIN
with source pacakge installations).