Alternative Connections

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Tue Dec 9 22:21:58 CST 2003

On Tuesday 09 December 2003 02:49 pm, Leo J Mauler wrote:

> However, the guy in Costa Rica who has no access to cable modem broadband
> nor to DSL service is unlikely to have access to ISDN either.  Which is
> why I was talking in terms of the POTS, not ISDN.

> Now the primary ISP for Costa Rica (VPM) does list ISDN as a service...

Generally you'll find that ISDN had a lot better market penetration outside
the U.S. than it did here.  Lots of the FIDO BBSs in Europe used it, because
the European Telco's priced it reasonably, while U.S. companies tried to make
a killing off of it as a new technology.

One of the problems with getting an ISDN link around here was that you not
only had to pay for your own ISDN line, modem, and service, but you usually
had to pay your ISP a similar amount, as he had to pretty much dedicate an
ISDN line to you.  There were far fewer ISDN users to spread the load on, and
they generally wanted a much higher percentage of connect time.

> doesn't ISDN have the same "your house must be located close enough to X
> connection office" requirement that cable/DSL have?

It may have some distance limits, but I've never run into them.  I think all
you need is two free, non-multiplexed pair of lines.

At ~128K bidirectional, it's actually a better service than Greg's Cable
Modem, so he might want to look into it as an alternative, either at his new
"remote" location or at the "base" location where he may eventually connect
his wireless link.