Which CD RW?

Rich Edelman edelman at speedscript.com
Wed Sep 25 14:32:39 CDT 2002

On Wednesday 25 September 2002 09:25 am, darkweb4 at totalmail.com wrote:
> i just hopped over to TDK's site and checked out their drives...Wow!!  i
> want one too.
TDK drives are nice. :) I forget though, do they have any with bigger than a
2mb buffer? My first cdrw drive had an 8mb buffer, that was nice. But now
even finding ones with a 4mb buffer is getting hard, kinda like finding an
IDE HD with bigger than a 2mb cache (except for those nice WD's with the 8mb
ones :) ).

> no joking now:  i've known several people with TDK's that have worked fine
> with all kinds of Linux out of the box.  I personally own an older
> plexwriter, which i love dearly.  my honest opinion is that TDK and Plextor
> both make top of the line consumer CD-drives.
I've never heard of a cdrw that hasn't worked with linux... Every one I've
tried has worked fine. Plextor makes good drives too, but they're a little
expensive. The drives in my work and home computers are Lite-On. Lite-On
makes drives that are then rebranded by other companies (like Acer, for one),
and I've never had a problem with these drives. Plus, certain Lite-On models
are overclockable via flash rom upgrades, or so a slashdot article from a
while back said. I haven't tried it, but can find the article if anyone is
interested.

Rich