what "linux friendly" means Re: DSL

David Nicol shipnow at davidnicol.com
Tue Sep 24 16:30:35 CDT 2002

Eric Rossiter wrote:
> On Sat, 2002-09-21 at 02:57, Jason Clinton wrote:
>

>>[...] Did I mention that SBC is surprising
>>Linux friendly?
>>

> First, who did you speak with at SBC that was Linux friendly?  [...]

I think what Jason might have meant is that he was able to connect his
computer to the SBC service using standard, open protocols, without
there being any technical problem.

The way roadrunner is Linux Friendly.  Not that you're going to be
able to call a phone number and talk with a script monkey who starts
off by saying "Click on the foot" but that if you connect your current
linux distro to their hardware without twisting any wires, it will work
correctly out of the box.

If this means that Roaring Penguin or whatever PPPoE that is being
bundled with current kernels (is that real yet?) works with SBC
without configuration beyond editing a configuration file with
a text editor, according to instructions in a HowTo document, that
is in my estimation "linux friendly."