DSL

Jason Clinton clintonj at umkc.edu
Tue Sep 24 05:06:07 CDT 2002

Eric Rossiter wrote:
> On Sat, 2002-09-21 at 02:57, Jason Clinton wrote:
>>In case anyone was wondering, PPPoE is such a pain in the ass. If you
>>have the extra bucks per month, I would go with 1500/1500
>>Symetrical/Bridged/Router/Static DSL versus  this cheaper 128/1500
>>Asymetrical/PPPoE/Dynamic stuff. Did I mention that SBC is surprising
>>Linux friendly?
>
> Hi LugNuts, Mr. Clinton, Mr Steinkuehler, et all,
>
> Unfortunately, my client won't go with the business account, just wants
> the single user, and me to work the masq magic.
>
> Ok Jason, maybe you can help me.  Been working on getting a LEAF box
> using the Bering distro set up as a firewall/router on SBC DSL.

Never heard of Bering. Thought of using a more widely accepted distro?

> First, who did you speak with at SBC that was Linux friendly?  I've
> tried 5 different people at the help number they give, and I receive the
> standard "we don't support Linux" reply... so, can you hook me up,
> man??? who???? where??? what phone number???

Just a standard phone rep at the 888 support number. The web pages don't
offer any support but the downloads page supposedly has a X based
sign-on interface available for download. I don't know because I didn't
need to use their prorietary stuff. The open source PPPoE stuff worked
fine. Just ask someone how to access the drivers page.
download.swbell.net, i believe.

> To catch up from my first post (first attempt at a LEAF box using
> Bering)... I am able to use cat, ps, ls, etc. and an ifconfig look alike
> called ip.  It was late, I was stuck in stupid... that's my excuse, and
> I'm stickin to it....

Huh?

> So, I was able to get the nic cards working (wasn't installing the right
> modules), I can ping the eth1 but not eth0. If I configure a static
> route for eth0, I can ping it. It looks like I have everything right,
> I've been through the Bering installation and users guides about a
> hundred times, I've read the PPPoE and PPP HOWTO's about that many
> times.  I even downloaded, configured and fired up Dachstein, which
> worked fine here at home using dhcp to Comcast.

I never initialize eth0. The driver is installed but I never bring up
the network for the card attached to the DSL modem.

> I believe everything is working as it should, but the last piece I can't
> get is authentication to SBC.  (I think.... lol)

I downloaded and compiled and installed the Roaring Penguin PPPoE client
and added it to be init scripts. I put my user name and password in the
pap-secrets and chap-secrets files as indicated. RP-PPPOE starts up the
standard PPP daemon and passes the protocol through the PPPoE software
and then on to eth0 through DMA addressing. The network interface for
eth0 is never really brought up. Here's what ifconfig returns after I
connect to SBC:

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:60:08:91:80:E1
           collisions:16 txqueuelen:100
           RX bytes:169790466 (161.9 Mb)  TX bytes:28253664 (26.9 Mb)
           Interrupt:5 Base address:0x9400

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
           inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
           UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
           collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
           RX bytes:28226 (27.5 Kb)  TX bytes:28226 (27.5 Kb)

ppp0      Link encap:Point-to-Point Protocol
           inet addr:64.216.140.62  P-t-P:64.216.143.254  ...255.255.255
           UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MULTICAST  MTU:1492  Metric:1
           collisions:0 txqueuelen:3
           RX bytes:164908282 (157.2 Mb)  TX bytes:22578037 (21.5 Mb)

> Also, the Win PC I set this up on originally, works fine, authenticates
> great.

surprise surprise

> Ok, so I've configured the following per the Bering Users guide, PPPoE
> section.
>
> I've declared all the packages.
>
> I've edited /etc/modules with the following:
>
> # nic cards
> 3c509x  (two 3com 905 cards, one "b" and one "c")
>
> # modules needed for PPP/PPPoE connection
> slhc
> n_hdlc
> ppp_generic
> PPP_synctty
> pppox
> pppoe
>
> # Masquerading helper modules
> ip_conntrack_ftp
> ip_conntrack_irc
> ip_nat_ftp
> ip_nat_irc

All good.

> I've done very little with PPP other than the pap_secrets file because
> this isn't a serial dial-up.  Is this a correct assumption on my part?
>
> #pap_secrets
> #papname * papsecret
> user.name * password (correct values used, these are for demonstration)
> user.name at sbcglobal.net * password
>
> I've tried both of the above.
>
> The PPP HOWTO calls the following format pap_secrets, in Bering, they
> call it the chap_secrets file:
>
> # Secrets for authentication using PAP
> #client    server    secret     acceptable local ip addresses
> user.name    *       password
>
> I've tried to connect using chap_secrets and pap_secrets and only
> pap_secrets. Do I need to configure chap_secrets?  I've tried with and
> without, and it didn't seem to make a difference.

Refer to the other emails about this setup. I'm fairly certain SBC uses
only the chap-secrets file, but I have both set up just in case.

> PPPoE configs:
>
> edit /etc/ppp/peers/dsl-provider
>
> name "user.name at sbcglobal.net"
> name user.name at sbcglobal.net
> name "user.name"
> name user.name
>
> (I found a dsl howto at linuxdoc.org that suggested dropping the
> @sbcglobal.net.  I've tried all of the above formats, with double quotes
> and without, and with the @sbcglobal.net and without.  Nothing seems to
> make a difference)  The users guide states "if you have special
> characters in secret or username, you should put them in quotes."
> I should use the quotes I believe.
>
> /etc/networks/interfaces file:
>
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
>
> auto ppp0
> iface ppp0 inet ppp
> 	pre-up ip link set eth0 up
> 	provider dsl-provider eth0
>
> auto eth1
> iface eth1 inet static
> 	address 192.168.1.254
> 	masklen 24
> 	broadcast 192.168.1.255
>
> I put the nameservers for sbc in the resolv.conf file.

Just get the Roaring Penguin client and install it and then run

  # adsl-setup

... and be done with it. It takes care of all of this.

> P.S. I can burn CD's, don't have a "stomper," what ever that is, and I
> would love to help in any way for ITEC.  Please let me know if I may be
> of any assistance.

Cool!