DSL

Charles Steinkuehler charles at steinkuehler.net
Tue Sep 24 01:26:19 CDT 2002

> > Crawl through the adsl-connect script (below) that is used to start
the
> > PPPoE link on Dachstein systems.  I didn't port the PPPoE code, or
write
> > the scripts, so I'm no expert, but it might help you with a couple
of
> > wierd ppp options you might not otherwise think of using.
>
> Dachstein has PPPoE??  Where did I miss that?  I may back-up and
> re-group.  Does Dachstein utilize Shorwall?  What does Dachstein use
for
> firewalling?

There are some contributed floppy images that contain PPPoE, and the
PPPoE stuff is on the CD-ROM.  I currently only support one system with
PPPoE, and it's in Europe (France, actually) where such abominations are
more commonplace than here, due to the near-critical shortage of
routable IP's.

Dachstein uses a pretty convoluted set of ipchains rules originally
crafted by Matthew Grant, and recently maintained by me.  Since
Dachstein runs a 2.2 kernel, you can't run shorewall, but you can plug
in Tom Eastep's earlier ip-chains based seawall rules with little or no
trouble:
http://seawall.sourceforge.net/

> P.S.  If Dachstein supports PPPoE and firewalling, if you have the
time,
> and I can't make Dachstein work either, would you be interested in a
> trip to Olathe in return for monetary compensation?

I could probably be talked into it for a good dinner somewhere...we
don't have much in the way of decent resturants here in Topeka.
Besides, it'd give me an excuse to put some miles on my brand-new
Miata...Zoom-Zoom!

Charles Steinkuehler
charles at steinkuehler.net