Gentoo NIC drivers

Jeremy Fowler jfowler at westrope.com
Tue Sep 24 00:57:37 CDT 2002

> Either that, or I'd try to compile it from another computer and put it on
> a floppy for loading.  I've actually installed gentoo on two computers
> with no cdroms.  A person can get real creative when things don't go
> right.  >:)

That's exactly what I did... didn't work.

> I'm unpacking the stage1-ix86-1.2.tar tarball and... ouch... its not
> there...  I think I know what I did: I booted from a set of slackware
> floppies to get a working kernel and network and chrooted into the stage1
> install.  That's what I did!  If you can stand loading 5 slackware
> floppies to get a working shell and insert the network disc to modprobe
> the e100 driver (slackware _does_ have it) then you should be in business.
> Hopefully, all that doesn't scare you!

Nonsense, annoy or frustrate would probably be more accurate. What I'm going to
try is download the 1.2 iso image and boot up from that, then download the
stage1-x86-1.4_rc1-20020908-1208.tar.bz2 file. Still, you would think for a demo
disk for UT2003, they would include as many NICs as possible. They didn't even
add 3COM drivers.