Gentoo NIC drivers

Duane Attaway dattaway at attaway.net
Tue Sep 24 00:09:53 CDT 2002

On Mon, 23 Sep 2002, Jeremy Fowler wrote:

> Trying to get Gentoo installed, but the 1.4.1 version on the UT2003 ISO
> image doesn't have eepro100 drivers!!! I compiled some using the default
> 2.4.19 source tree and I get 'init_module: No such device' errors. Damn,
> if I can't get this to work. The livecd-basic-1.4_rc1 is the same, no
> eepro100 drivers. Now I know that the Pro/100 NICs are popular, why
> didn't they include them? Anyone able to get this to work or know where
> I can download drivers for my NIC that will work with the 2.4.19-xfs-r1
> kernel?

I have the same NIC.  There are two versions of this driver, one is by
Donald Becker, the other is from Intel.  Both are included with the new
kernels, but you can use either one.  Due to my hardware on my new Toshiba
laptop, I've had problems with buffer mismatches, causing random timeouts.
Compiling the other driver works.  Both drivers have done it at one time
or another.

You can use either:

e100      <--Intel's driver
eepro100  <--from NASA's Donald Becker