Tight labor market (was: Tech-support Hall of Shame)

Michael mogmios at mlug.missouri.edu
Thu Sep 19 16:39:14 CDT 2002

> Every day I drive by the "Get an IT job -- median income 61,000"
> billboards and just have to laugh.  These are the same companies making
> the pitch in the local career section of the KC Star (fill in your
> newspaper). Meanwhile back in the IT section of the newspaper, it
> flucuates between 3-4 columns.  Sad.  I myself just got a new
> contracting job (to go along with my hosting/design company that I
> bought back in August), but I'm literally burning the candle on both
> ends here.  This new gig is for Cold Fusion . . . which I'm just aching
> to put into PHP and be happy with.  *Sigh* There are jobs out there, but
> getting to the people that have them is a pain.  I interviewed a few
> places, and sent out tons of resumes with nary a response.  (Looking for
> the ellusive health benefits of an employer.)
>
> Speaking of health benefits, any other free-lancers or business owners
> have any suggestions on insurance they use?

I can barely even do contract work these days. I moved to take a new job..
spending what lil money I had.. and it fell through. So first no
phone/Internet hookup and the library terminals don't let you upload. Now
in two weeks I'll be homeless and since I don't own a laptop the chances
of carrying it around finding decent places to work is near zilch. It'd be
a funny picture I'm sure but not very funny to experience. Am working
something like 16 hours a day right now trying to finish up the contracts
I already have out but taking any more is out of the question for now.
Really makes me want to pull my hair out. ;)