first attempt with a LEAF using the Bering distro

Eric Rossiter rossiter at discoverynet.com
Wed Sep 18 04:05:35 CDT 2002

Hey LugNuts,

Finally got sbcdsl synched up and running on one of the Win PC's for
this moonlighting gig I landed.

The first go around with Bering was less than stellar however.  I didn't
get anywhere I don't believe.

I guess my biggest problem is the lack of the usual tool set.

What do you use to view the files? (after the initial configs, when
troubleshooting) I know there is an editor available, but I can't
remember what it is. no cat, no ls, no ifconfig.  ifup just tells me
eth0 and eth1 are already configured, however at boot up, the system
tells me eth1 is not installed. The lights on the nic's light up when
plugged into the dsl modem or the switch.  ping revealed that the
"network is unreachable" when plugging the nic's into the modem one at a
time and a reboot for each.

I'm stumped that the system tells me that eth1 isn't installed at boot
up, but the lights on both nic's work when connected, and ifup tells me
eth1 is already configured.

I'm stumped on how to troubleshoot anything with the lack of an
available tool set (at least the one's I know and use)

I've read the installation and user guide for Bering.  I haven't read
the PPP howto, the Bering guide said the defaults should be ok.

I went through the configs with the Bering users guide in my lap,
plugging in the pertinent information.  I don't have any experience with
PPP or PPPoE, so I'm at quite a loss.  I don't know what I've done wrong
or where.

I suppose I could test the nic's by putting them in the Win PC and
seeing what happens, but that's a rather convoluted test scenario,
anyone know of an easier way to verify a nic card is working?

Sorry if this was too long.  I'm off to read, and read, and re-read I
reckon.  If I can provide any more info, please feel free to point out
what I've left out.

TIA,