first attempt with a LEAF using the Bering distro

Duane Attaway dattaway at attaway.net
Wed Sep 18 04:31:39 CDT 2002

On Tue, 17 Sep 2002, Eric Rossiter wrote:

> What do you use to view the files? (after the initial configs, when
> troubleshooting) I know there is an editor available, but I can't

ls         <--a simple list of files
ls -al     <--view all files with details
pico       <--editor
emacs      <--another editor

> remember what it is. no cat, no ls, no ifconfig.  ifup just tells me

system binaries are not usually set in the path for security, so you have
to type in the full path:

/sbin/ifconfig

/sbin  <--hitting the TAB key twice after typing this at the command line
          will give you all commands available in that directory.  Also,
          you have the:
/usr/sbin directory...

> eth0 and eth1 are already configured, however at boot up, the system
> tells me eth1 is not installed. The lights on the nic's light up when

your eth1 NIC may be compiled as a module, rather than directly into the
kernel with several other hundreds of NICs to save valuable memory space.
You can install its module with:

modprobe <module>

Your distribution may have a utility to automate this process for you.

> plugged into the dsl modem or the switch.  ping revealed that the
> "network is unreachable" when plugging the nic's into the modem one at a
> time and a reboot for each.

I never reboot, I simply restart the network:

/etc/init.d/network restart

> I'm stumped that the system tells me that eth1 isn't installed at boot
> up, but the lights on both nic's work when connected, and ifup tells me
> eth1 is already configured.

/sbin/ifconfig  <--should show you a list and allow you to configure those
                   NICS

> I'm stumped on how to troubleshoot anything with the lack of an
> available tool set (at least the one's I know and use)
>
> I've read the installation and user guide for Bering.  I haven't read
> the PPP howto, the Bering guide said the defaults should be ok.

What is Bering?

> I went through the configs with the Bering users guide in my lap,
> plugging in the pertinent information.  I don't have any experience with
> PPP or PPPoE, so I'm at quite a loss.  I don't know what I've done wrong
> or where.
>
> I suppose I could test the nic's by putting them in the Win PC and
> seeing what happens, but that's a rather convoluted test scenario,
> anyone know of an easier way to verify a nic card is working?

/sbin/ifconfig will tell you what NICs are installed.  You may have to
install a module for it to show up.