Linux

JD Runyan jrunyan.lists at dms.nwcg.gov
Fri Sep 13 02:49:47 CDT 2002

What conversation on this topic would be complete with Richard Stalman's
way of describing this.  These is free as in beer.  Meaning you get the
software for nothing.  Much, but not all open source software is in this
catagory.  These is also free as in speech.  Meaning you can use the
software for whatever purpose you see fit.  The free software foundation
supports this way of thinking.  There are two dominent groups in open
source.  One says software should not cost money, and the other says
that open source is a means to protect yourself from obsolecense,
because you can fix update, and customize as you need to.  I believe in
the latter.  I have a problem telling some of the smartest programmers
that I have met, that they do no deserve to make money off the creation
of the products.  Why should a fantastic programmer also have to serve
as a consultant?  I have no problem paying for good software, and there
is much good software in open source.  I also have no problem taking
advantage of no cost choices for software if they are available.

--
Jason D. Runyan
USDA NITC KC