Need help with decision.

mike neuliep mike at marauder.illiana.net
Thu Sep 12 20:27:37 CDT 2002

KCLUG people:

I've been asked to post this anonymously for legitimate privacy reasons.
If you think you can help this person, please e-mail back the list and not
me.  This person will read the list and perhaps respond back to you in private.
Thank you!

	Mike Neuliep

I'd like the advice of all the KCLUG group members about my next (and
probably final) choice of a computer system (workstation) after a move
I'll be making in the near future (I estimate between 3 & 12 months),
to an Assisted Living Facility in the KC Metro Area.

Should I -

#1 Keep the system I presently own? This is a PowerMAC G4/400, 15"
    Studio Display Monitor, and a HP LaserJet 2100TN Printer, assembled
    on (and around)  a 48"-wide AnthroCart.
PRO: I've used this OS for about 2.5 years and like some of the
      software applications.
CON: Not Linux, OS/2 or Amiga. As this was only to be a "temporary"
      computer when the workstation with Linux pre-installed I bought
      in 1999 turned-out to be defective. I didn't bother to learn much
      about how the Macintosh computer hardware is all inter-connected.

#2 Either buy a workstation running Linux or a dual-boot with windows
    or have the computer built by someone in the Metro area, but who? I
    think I should begin with either Mandrake or SuSE.
PRO: What can I say?
CON: OS is presently unknown to me. I have used a shell account with
      local ISPs using SunOS for 8-10 years, so basic operations are
      known, but Windows is a complete unknown.

To further assist the list members to make an informed opinion I must
tell you about my physical/medical condition. I'm 60 years old and in
a wheelchair because I have no sense of balance, no involuntary
reflexes from the waist downward and poor coordination, all due to an
unknown medical condition.

No matter which option I choose, I'll have to hire someone to set-up
the computer hardware at the very least, so I'm open to any
ideas/thoughts/suggestions concerning this matter.

Thanks a lot!!