Burning a cd in Linux

Charles Steinkuehler charles at steinkuehler.net
Mon Sep 9 20:37:34 CDT 2002

> Im trying to burn my first ever iso in Linux.
> My first problem is that after downloading this iso,
> it looks like a text file?  This is different from
> windows, I'm not comfortable with this,lol.  I think I
> have a program called cdroaster or something?
>
> Can that be used to write the iso? Do I need to do any
> checks to make sure Linux is reading my cdrom as a
> cdburner?  Thats about all my questions, I am
> concerned about why the iso is being shown as a text
> file though.

Some basic sanity checks on an ISO image:

- Make sure it's a multiple of 2048 bytes long (the CD-ROM Block size)

- Verify the size (and/or md5 checksum) with the source of the iso image

- Try mounting it using the loopback device:
    mount -t iso9660 -o loop -r /path/file.iso /mnt/cdrom

...if the iso file mounts, and the contents of /mnt/cdrom look kosher,
you're probably home free.

Charles Steinkuehler
charles at steinkuehler.net