Burning a cd in Linux

Jason Clinton clintonj at umkc.edu
Mon Sep 9 22:40:50 CDT 2002

Aldis A. Tuck wrote:

>Greetings,
>Im trying to burn my first ever iso in Linux.
>My first problem is that after downloading this iso,
>it looks like a text file?  This is different from
>windows, I'm not comfortable with this,lol.  I think I
>have a program called cdroaster or something?
>
>Can that be used to write the iso? Do I need to do any
>checks to make sure Linux is reading my cdrom as a
>cdburner?  Thats about all my questions, I am
>concerned about why the iso is being shown as a text
>file though.
>
>Kind Regards,

Pretty straight forward:

The CD-Burner must be passed through the SCSI generic driver so that the
burner programs can access the write commands. This is done at boot time
with the kernel command line command "hdb=scsi" where 'hdb' is the
second device on the IDE bus; hdc is the third device on the bus. You
can edit your command line in /etc/lilo.conf if you use LILO as a boot
loader or /boot/grub/menu.lst if you use GRUB (woot!).

Next, XCDRoast is by far the best burner we have right now. During first
time config you will need to specify an "image" directory in which
XCDRoast looks for ISOs. Set it to something like /var/iso or /tmp will
even work. Make it some place you have lots of space too because if you
plan on ripping DVD's (muhaha) this requires a TON of space.

Next, move your ISO in to whatever you specified as your "image" directory.

Go to Write CD in XCDRoast. Select "Layout". Select your image. Accept.
Set your CD burn speed. Burn away! :)

XCDRoast is pretty good about verifying that the ISO is valid before you
burn it.

Enjoy!