GPG

Jason Clinton clintonj at umkc.edu
Fri Sep 6 19:30:22 CDT 2002

Gerald Combs wrote:

>On Fri, 6 Sep 2002, Jason Clinton wrote:
>

>>Actually, a shared writtable calendars are not yet supported. (Should be
>>within a month.) But shared read/write folders are supported through the
>>use of IMAP. Shared read-only calendars are supported through IMAP
>>and/or SAMBA and/or HTTP.
>>

>Outlook uses MAPI (Microsoft's Messaging API, not IMAP) to pass shared
>folder and calendaring information to and from Exchange.  As I said
>before, I didn't see anything on the page to suggest that MAPI was
>supported by Mozilla.  How does using Mozilla's Own Special Version of
>calendaring help you in an Exchange environmnet?

The folders that MAPI creates are the same ones that the IMAP emmulator
uses. Mozilla doesn't access MAPI folders, but if you can get to them
through IMAP, you should be able to access it in Mozilla.

>>MS Exchange IMAP 'emmulation' of course doesn't allow folder sharing to
>>occur. But any other IMAP server would most certainly be able to provide
>>that. (Like Courier IMAP and SquirlleMail)
>>

>How do you go about "emulating" IMAP?  IMAP's behavior is spelled out in a
>set of RFCs.  You either support the RFCs, or you don't.  It's like saying
>that IIS or Apache has HTTP emulation.

Exactly. :) (Actually I would say IIS emulates HTTP after they finished
perverting the standard with ASP and FrontPage Server Extentions) C'est
la vive!