GPG

Jeremy Fowler jfowler at westrope.com
Fri Sep 6 20:01:33 CDT 2002

Many corporations have pretty strict software use policies. They don't allow any
outside software to be installed that isn't part of the default company
installation. Installing unapproved software on corporate resources is highly
frowned upon and may be grounds for disciplinary actions including termination.
If you got a lenient sysadmin who doesn't care what you install, then you don't
have a problem. However, not everyone is this lucky. Even if you decided to
break the rules, many workstations (NT/W2k) are locked down so tight you can't
install anything without the proper rights. So even if there are other options
out there, they may not be an option for everyone.