Gentoo System Update (Was: Re: Theories on GCC 3.2?)

Rich Edelman edelman at speedscript.com
Tue Sep 3 18:43:54 CDT 2002

Actually, if you're using Gentoo, the proper way to upgrade GCC is to do one
of two things:
emerge -u gcc && emerge glibc gcc
-or-
cd /usr/portage
scripts/bootstrap.sh

That'll make sure that once GCC is built, it will rebuild glibc and then
rebuild gcc using your newly up to date glibc.  Then if you want to upgrade
everything on your machine, the correct syntax is:
emerge -e (or --emptytree) world

That will take everything on your machine, and rebuild/reinstall all of it,
including the dependencies. just doing an emerge -u world does not update the
dependencies and whatever uses that dependency.

Rich