Network is WORKING

jo mojo johan_yo at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 17 19:49:34 CDT 2002

Thanks guys, finally I got it working. I have to manually add in the DNS
name, which is my smc router address (192.168.2.1). I copied from windows
machine.

Jonathan,
   there is a GUI to the network setting. Actually there are many ways to
get to the same window.
1. Start Menu ==> System & Settings ==> Network
   then Network Configuration window pop-up. Click on the DNS tab and fill
in the Primary DNS input box, use Secondary DNS if has more than one. Since
mine is my gateway (router not modem), I just need to input Primary DNS

2. Start Menu ==> Network Device Control
   Choose the network interface (in my case eth0) and click on configure.
Same window as in 1) above pop-up

3. On Desktop, click on StartHere, then System Settings.
   This is actually the exact same thing as 1) above.

Jonathan,
  that Network Configuration (click on edit) I mentioned on 1) does have:
automatically IP address settings with dhcp, also
I checked the "Automatically obtain DNS information from provider"
but it doesn't work until I manually input Primary DNS (see 1. above)

I couldn't find the GUI to do route/ default gateway. I think this is one of
the crucial step. Thank you very much, Duane.

Once again, thank you very much, guys.

cheers,
  JOhannes