Redhat workstations searching the internet

mgoins at kcp.com mgoins at kcp.com
Tue Jun 25 15:08:27 CDT 2002

I figured it out,  it's an xscreensaver called WebCollage. Have a look.

#!/usr/bin/perl -w
#
# webcollage, Copyright (c) 1999-2001 by Jamie Zawinski <jwz at jwz.org>
# This program decorates the screen with random images from the web.
# One satisfied customer described it as "a nonstop pop culture brainbath."
#
# Permission to use, copy, modify, distribute, and sell this software and
its
# documentation for any purpose is hereby granted without fee, provided
that
# the above copyright notice appear in all copies and that both that
# copyright notice and this permission notice appear in supporting
# documentation.  No representations are made about the suitability of this
# software for any purpose.  It is provided "as is" without express or
# implied warranty.

# To run this as a display mode with xscreensaver, add this to `programs':
#
#   default-n:  webcollage -root                                        n#   default-n:  webcollage
-root -filter 'vidwhacker -stdin -stdout'    n
require 5;
use strict;

# We can't "use diagnostics" here, because that library malfunctions if
# you signal and catch alarms: it says "Uncaught exception from user code"
# and exits, even though I damned well AM catching it!
#use diagnostics;

use Socket;
require Time::Local;
require POSIX;
use Fcntl ':flock'; # import LOCK_* constants
use POSIX qw(strftime);

my $progname = $0; $progname =~ s at .*/@@g;
my $version = q{ $Revision: 1.77 $ }; $version =~ s/^[^0-9]+([0-9.]+).
*$/$1/;
my $copyright = "WebCollage $version, Copyright (c) 1999-2001" .
    " Jamie Zawinski <jwz at jwz.org>n" .
    "            http://www.jwz.org/xscreensaver/n";

my @search_methods = (  35, "imagevista", &pick_from_alta_vista_images,
                        33, "altavista",  &pick_from_alta_vista_text,
                        20, "yahoorand",  &pick_from_yahoo_random_link,
                         2, "yahoonews",  &pick_from_yahoo_news_text,
                        10, "lycos",      &pick_from_lycos_text,

                     # Hotbot gives me "no matches" just about every time.
                     # Then I try the same URL again, and it works.  I
guess
                     # it caches searches, and webcollage always busts its
                     # cache and time out?  Or it just sucks.
                     #   0, "hotbot",     &pick_from_hotbot_text,
                      );

#@search_methods=(100, "lycos",     &pick_from_lycos_text);

                    "Brian Densmore"

                    <DensmoreB at ctbso       To:     <mgoins at kcp.com>