Cable or DSL?

David david at davidarush.com
Mon Jun 17 16:13:47 CDT 2002

>The part that bugs me is the self install kit has filter(s) that you have
>to add to every phone.  When they did mine (free back then through my DSL
>provider) the SWBC guy installed a filter at the dmarc (sic?) and that was
>that.  Anyone know why you couldn't just install filter on customer side of
>box going into house?

If your house is wired such that you can get your DSL modem on the line in
front of any phones, and hence segreate the wiring between "phones" and
"DSL", then you should be able to use just a single filter.  But "home
wiring" realities being what they are, where the customer has his/her
computer is where the DSL provider wants to put the modem (for simplicity's
sake - no new wiring), and that location is more often than not poorly
suited to segregating the DSL wiring from the voice wiring.

Putting a filter at every phone is an ugly solution, but it works for just
about any home wiring situation (assuming DSL will work), and makes it just
as easy to put the DSL modem on any phone jack, and then move it to any
other jack.

David