Cable or DSL?

Bradley Miller bradmiller at dslonramp.com
Mon Jun 17 15:29:36 CDT 2002

At 10:30 AM 6/17/02 -0500, I am Spartacus wrote:
>Word of advice: if you go with SBC, order the basic service first and
>ask for the self-install kit.  That will save you a $200.00 on-site
>installation fee which consists of a technician plugging your DSL modem
>into the wall and attaching an ethernet cable between the modem and your
>computer.  Then if you want to upgrade to the enhanced service later (5
>static IP addresses) you just make a phone call and they can handle the
>upgrade over the phone.  If you go for the enhanced service when you
>first set up your account with them, they require the on-site install.

The part that bugs me is the self install kit has filter(s) that you have
to add to every phone.  When they did mine (free back then through my DSL
provider) the SWBC guy installed a filter at the dmarc (sic?) and that was
that.  Anyone know why you couldn't just install filter on customer side of
box going into house?

-- Bradley Miller