What's wrong with the market?

Dustin Decker dustind at moon-lite.com
Thu Jun 6 16:47:44 CDT 2002

On Thu, 6 Jun 2002, mike neuliep wrote:

> ----- Message Text -----
> Heh I'll tell you what's wrong with the market:  I'm a highly certified
> and experienced network engineer and unix admin.  I have solaris admin
> cert, ccnp cert (working on ccie) and many other certs.  Combined with ten
> years experience I should in theory be employable just about anywhere
> within an IT organization.  In reality I've been out of work since
> January, only been on three interviews, everyone thought my salary
> expectations were too high at 60k/year when in fact at my previous job I
> was making closer to 80k/year.  Companies don't like to hire the
> unemployed, they'd rather hired away from another company.  The longer I'm
> out of work the more it is going to hurt me in the job search.  I am
> seriously starting to think this whole industry is for the birds.
>
> So at this point if someone calls and offers me a job, that's great, but I
> don't realistically expect to get an IT job this year in the industry.

While I haven't nearly the level of certifications that you have Mike, I
can certainly sympathize with you on this.  I found myself out of work
three days before Christmas about four years ago, and remained without
work until March.  What I had to do in the end was make a lowball salary
request in the mid 40's and get my foot in the door.  I've enjoyed
salary increases of 15% like clockwork every year since then, although
this year might be a different story.

It might be too quick to decide to cut and run, moving into math.  This
is obviously a personal call - if you love math and can deal with the
pay cut, I say go.  If you love IT however, it might be advantageous to
push your "I give up" dates a little further back and see what happens
if you lower your salary requirements by say $10K.  (God, what a
terrible thing to have to recommend - I wish we weren't having this
discussion, it makes me nervous!)

I wish I could see the future - of course we all do I guess.  I'd love
to know where my career will be in the next five years.  I certainly
wouldn't care, however, if I knew of a stock that would return 125% or
better in a few months.  <grin>

Dustin

--
| Dustin Decker                     |
| http://www.dustindecker.com | "It is by the fortune of God that, in   |
| Moon-Lite Computing         | his country, we have three benefits:    |
| 913.579.7117                | freedom of speech, freedom of thought,  |
*-----------------------------| and the wisdom never to use either."    |
                              |		-- Mark Twain                   |