blowing off microsoft stink

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at opus1.com
Mon Jun 3 20:36:35 CDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "david nicol" <whatever at davidnicol.com>

> > Hmmm, I highly doubt that. First, you can't put an nVidia graphics card
in a
> > 386, there is no AGP or PCI slots available (and a 386 doesn't have
enough juice
> > to push it). Second, the X-box has an Intel 733Mhz PIII in them, this
will run
> > circles around that 386 and you WILL notice the difference.

> What the hell are you talking about?  X has been in existence since the
> 1980s

We're talking about whether a "386" can come anywhere near the hardware
required to game as if on an X-Box.  Sure, X-Windows has been around since
the '80's - but back then it ran on $15,000 workstations.  Ever try to run
it on a 486?  Even loading a modern Linux distro would be iffy, since most
take more than 2G these days, especially if you want to install X.

This whole "Linux lets you make great workstations out of obsolete hardware"
malarkey is just plain false.  Sure, you can make a box that'll run a
text-based interface and some basic software, but you can't get GUI and a
modern office suite to perform at the speed that users need.

I digress.  Gaming, as in running current games, not emulating Pong, has
always required state-of-the-art hardware.  It's the main force that drives
hardware advances.  In most cases, emulating a hardware environment in
software places enough load on even SOTA hardware that you're going to feel
like you took your Ugo to Heartland Park.