blowing off microsoft stink

Duane Attaway dattaway at attaway.org
Mon Jun 3 20:53:18 CDT 2002

On Mon, 3 Jun 2002, Jonathan Hutchins wrote:

> the '80's - but back then it ran on $15,000 workstations.  Ever try to run
> it on a 486?  Even loading a modern Linux distro would be iffy, since most

X, a 486, 16MB, sound card, any old SVGA card, and a very large monitor
makes for a wonderful X terminal.  Hard drive optional.  Believe it or
not, its great for word processing, email, browsing, and running a bunch
of terminal windows.  With those old cards, an X server is indeed quick
and snappy.

...except for games and flowing graphic intensive stuff most kids these
days insist upon.  Sometimes a minimalistic desktop is an enjoyable,
clutter-free experience.  I'd strongly recommend it for the every-day
tasks.  The power savings of older hardware can also lower air
conditioning bills too.

Experience the joys of twm!  This window manager is fast as the blink of
an eye, even on a 20MHz 486!