gentoo linux

Chris Midkiff chris at datacaptech.com
Wed Jan 30 17:41:55 CST 2002

I installed gentoo last night.  All went well, through configuring grub (I'd
be fine if they offered lilo... New tools, same job).  Anyway, when I
re-booted the system, it came up in grub command mode.  I did a little
reading, and got the following to load my kernel:
# kernel (hd0,0)/bzImage
# boot

The kernel will boot, but refuse to log me on. Gives several 'Read Only
Filesystem' errors while booting, then when I enter a username, returns the
message:
/bin/login: Error while loading shared libraries: libshadow.so.o: Cannot
open shared object file: no such file or directory.

for single user (administrative) mode, and let me login with root password.
The df output shows all partitions mounted, and the mount output shows two
entries for /proc, neither one mounted, and everything else mounted rw.

To shorten the question, does anyone have enough experience with grub to
help me out?

Chris Midkiff