Linux in Schools

Marvin Bellamy Marvin.Bellamy at innovision.com
Mon Feb 25 21:19:17 CST 2002

I'm glad to see this thread started.  A charity task that I had in mind
was to set up an all-Linux network (on a computer lab scale) in a
low-resource school in KC.  I wanted to petition for donations of
hardware, etc.  I think if you hit up enough companies in the area for
goods, you could get quite a bit of hardware to get yourself set up.
We're a small company of ~20, and we've got tons of stuff laying
around.  I just haven't learned enough about Linux admin to get started.
I recall seeing a Linux administrator How-To at linux.org, but I haven't
been able to find it since then.

I just don't know how much of a time commitment it would be after I
could get it going.  I know with my home network, my setup is
essentially hands-off, but who knows what to expect with twenty kids
hammering away on desktops.