Linux usability [ was: RE: Changing IP Addresses]

Jonathan Hale maclaoch at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 12 03:34:56 CST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: Brian Densmore <DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com>
To: KCLUG (E-mail) <kclug at kclug.org>
Sent: Monday, February 04, 2002 11:17 AM
Subject: Linux usability [ was: RE: Changing IP Addresses]

> Software installation is a major MAJOR problem with Linux.
> Which is one reason why I am working on a new distro. I plan on
> making this a Linux Standard Base (LSB) compliant. And incorporate a
> "dependency tree" algorithm to handle software installation. Something
> like apt-get, but capable of using RPMs. I think that RPMs need to be
> supported, because it is so widely available and the most common form.

This is good... there should be SOME standards... even if everyone doesn't
agree with them... I believe the LSB has selected RPMs over .debs... which
I'm sure a lot of Debian people would disagree with... but, as you say, RPMs
are widely available... and Red Hat is still the market leader... for now...
(personally, I think their distro is getting too bloated... pretty sad when
you can still get almost any other distro on a CD from some place like
Cheapbytes for $2-5... but even the download version of Red Hat's latest
offering is $10...)  Another thing to consider... I've heard that Debian
adheres to the FSHS more closely than other distros... maybe the solution is
to use an RPM based distro but analyze and follow the Debian file
structure... you could even use Apt... (doesn't sound like it will install
.deb files, but it does support RPMs for RPM-based distros like
Conectiva...)