The C is dead, long live the C

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Thu Feb 7 14:25:35 CST 2002

> Look at Color Forth for a paradigm shift on where C's
> postcessor could be
> taking us...
>
> http://www.colorforth.com/

And I have some property in Florida for sale to any takers. It's prime
land with you own waterfront view!

It looks interesting, but it has that odd ring of getting something for
nothing. I know a little about hardware,
and computer design. It may be possible to use colorforth in some
utopian future, when all manufacturers
are making colorforth compatible devices. Optimizing compilers are
called that for a reason. There is an
absolute minimum amount of machine code that is required to perform a
certain task. No amount of
smoke and mirrors can alter that physical limitation. In the end you
must send a signal to an electronic gate
with a value of 1 or 0. The bloat of modern OSes is due largely to a
need for more code reuse, debugging features,
error tracking, and supporting individual manufacturers' "unique"
features. Oh yeah, and relying on the old obsolete IBM
PC compatibility crap. It is certainly easy to build a new PC that can
support a tiny OS, but it wouldn't be compatible
with any device currently manufactured.

$.02,
Brian

Long life the King! C!