Update: New distro

Rich Edelman edelman at speedscript.com
Mon Feb 4 15:39:26 CST 2002

replies are inline...

>    I will not be burning a gentoo Linux yet. My CDRW has decided to crap
> out. I can no longer position the read head for CDR/W disks. A HW error.
> Still reads CD formats. So it's off to the wilds of Southern KC for a
> new writeable, any suggestions?

TDK has a 32x burner that's either out, or will be in a few days... Micro
Center has it in their latest flyer for $150. Aside from that, Yamaha drives
are pretty good.

> I'm not sure I like the LFS. I doesn't include any of the add on
> programs (X, multimedia, chat, mail, apache, etc). Not that it is hard
> to find these things. Still it'll be a good learning experience, it
> already has me creating some install/configure scripts (in addition to
> the ones they wrote).
Take a look at the latest (CVS) hints (hints.linuxfromscratch.org, I
believe). They have howtos for compiling X and even optimized KDE. KDE built
with glibc 2.2.5 and optimized for your machine is screaming fast. Especially
with a nice kernel, like the mjc tree, which has all the performance
enhancing patches for it. Preemptive, lock-breaking, and the new scheduler
really help out on latency issues. :)  That's what I'm running at home now.
Haven't had time to really build anything else, like apache or mysql or
anything, due to having no power most of last week. Oh well, that'll be my
project for this week.

Rich