Wireless T1 question

Dustin Decker dustind at moon-lite.com
Thu Dec 12 17:34:25 CST 2002

On Thu, 12 Dec 2002, Jared wrote:

> Is the T1 signal just a bunch of ethernet packets
> and therefore any decent 802.11 access point will
> work, or do I have to send the signal from the inside
> of the CSU/DSU?

I haven't worked with this stuff nearly as much in my current position of
the past five years as I did when contracting with Sprint...  but I'll
give it a shot.

The T1 is a grouping of 23 individual 64kbps ISDN circuits or channels
(each frequently referred to as a basic rate or "B" channels) with a pair
of "D" channels that carry the synchronization data for the CSU/DSU
(channel service unit/data service unit) device to properly mux them into
one contiguous data channel.  [If you've ever had 128kbps ISDN for
example, you may have been told you have "two B and a D" channels, etc.]
In your case, six of your 64kbps channels have been broken out into
telephone lines with dial tone assigned to them by your provider at the
other end of the T1.

The terminated T1 circuit will need to be serviced by the CSU/DSU... but
IIRC the Ethernet connection between the two devices can be extended
provided you don't exceed the maximum length and what have you.  The cheap
answer is, providing the SWBell box will support this then moving the
CSU/DSU most likely won't cause you any problems short of the temporary
outage during the move.  I'd get the cable in place and tested, then do
the move and see how it behaves.  Moving the T1 is a bit of a pain in the
ass - requiring Bell to visit and all related service charges.

Dustin

--
| Dustin Decker                     |
| http://www.dustindecker.com | "A white mountain, covered in snow is   |
| Moon-Lite Computing         | beautiful.  When the snow melts away    |
| 913.579.7117                | and reveals the green underneath, the   |
*-----------------------------| mountain is again beautiful.  With every|
                              | loss comes gain, and with every gain    |
                              | comes loss."                            |
                              |		-- Anonymous                    |