local linux education

Steven Elling ellings at kcnet.com
Tue Dec 10 07:34:35 CST 2002

On Monday 09 December 2002 11:19, Gary Hildebrand wrote:
> I'm in the market for an introductory course on Linux SysAdmin, which is
> the needle in the Microsoft haystack.  Eventual goal is RHCE or
> equivalent, but first things first . . . .
>
> I'm a Linux user, with virtually NO Microslop experience (in other words
> no bad habits to unlearn).  I'm comfortable with the physical aspects of
> PC's, having built my own systems, and dabbling in the Amiga world.  I
> just need a structured approach to Linux basics; a boost up to the
> bottom rung of the ladder.
>
> Outside of corporations from out of state puttting on intensive 3-5 day
> seminars, are there any community colleges within an hour's drive of
> KC/Topeka/St. Joseph that have such a program?  Last one I knew of was
> KCKCC, but the instructor left!!!!

The only education I ever had on UNIX and Linux was "The Linux Documentation
Project" (http://www.tldp.org/) Guides and f'ing up my box.  The guides are
very useful and are --- for the most part --- as good as course material.
You just have to be motivated to read the stuff and willing to screw up
your system until you become familar with Linux.