Linux on an old Macintosh?

Gerald Combs gerald at ethereal.com
Sat Dec 7 16:45:01 CST 2002

On Fri, 6 Dec 2002, georgebingham at swbell.net wrote:

> Hello all,
>
>    Does anyone know of anyone running Linux on an old Mororola 68040
> variant of Macintosh hardware ? I forget the model name of the mac I have,
> but it had the Motorola 68040 cpu in it.

You should be able to run Linux/mac68k or NetBSD on it, depending on the
actual model.  You can check the machine status pages at

    http://maclinuxstatus.sourceforge.net/status/  and

    http://www.macbsd.com/macbsd/macbsd-docs/machine-status/

to see if your model is supported.  The projects themselves can be found
at

    http://www.mac.linux-m68k.org/  and

    http://www.netbsd.org/

respectively.