Novell software 4 or 5

Dustin Decker dustind at moon-lite.com
Thu Dec 5 21:33:33 CST 2002

On Thu, 5 Dec 2002, Jonathan Hutchins wrote:

[snip]
> So my suggestion is that you look at the future, not the past.  Find ways to
> use Linux to solve the problems, do the work, and carry the load.  That way,
> you're part of the solution, not part of the legacy deadwood that gets cut
> when they ditch Novell.

Oh well if this is what the whole arguement has really been about then I
conceed - Jason is entirely correct.  Alas - let's not overlook that if
the young man who asked the original question about a copy of Novell (and
I have a 250 user 4.11 install you can test with if you like) is forced to
interoperate with a Novell network that is currently in production, he
still has a need to learn how _it_ works to accomplish such.

> You can set up Linux on an obsolete PC, learn to use it, get applications
> running over the net, and do all of your proof-of-concept work without
> having to spend thousands on licensing.

Which I believe is what he was asking for in the first place - access to a
copy of Novell so that he wouldn't have to go buy it just to figure the
whole mess out in expensive fashion.

I'm sure I've ruffled some feathers here, and for that I apologize.  My
mantra, however, has always been "think for yourself".  I don't think we
can subject ourselves to signifigant doses of idealism at the expense of
ignoring what is going on in the real world, and still accomplish this.

D.

--
| Dustin Decker                     |
| http://www.dustindecker.com |                                         |
| Moon-Lite Computing         | "How many teamsters does it take to     |
| 913.579.7117                |  screw in a light bulb?"                |
                              | "FIFTEEN!! YOU GOT A PROBLEM WITH THAT?"|