Novell software 4 or 5

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Thu Dec 5 21:01:14 CST 2002

---- Original Message -----
From: "Joe Cho" <joecho at everestkc.net>

> Mainly, I guess they are using login authentication and File server,
> Printing. and one thing people don't want to give up the application is
Pegasus email
> server whether you have seen or not.

It seems to me that Pegasus is available on *NIX platforms, but you can also
use it as a client for non-Novell servers.  Not positive about that.

File & Print are pretty easy in Linux, you can use SAMBA for file serving to
Windows clients, and there are a number of Print managers of various levels
of complexity, but Windows can print directly to TCP/IP print queues.

As for authorization...  Sysadmin Magazine did an article in the November
issue about using "pGINA" as a centralized PAM-style (Pluggable
Authentication Modules) centralized log-in service for a Windows network.
There are other approaches using SAMBA that will provide this.

Linux even has some capabilities to work with Novell systems, and can even
run IPX networking.

So my suggestion is that you look at the future, not the past.  Find ways to
use Linux to solve the problems, do the work, and carry the load.  That way,
you're part of the solution, not part of the legacy deadwood that gets cut
when they ditch Novell.

You can set up Linux on an obsolete PC, learn to use it, get applications
running over the net, and do all of your proof-of-concept work without
having to spend thousands on licensing.  You can start learning now, and you
can use what you learn to forward instead of backward.