Medion - pics

Charles Steinkuehler charles at steinkuehler.net
Sun Dec 1 21:24:29 CST 2002

Bradley Miller wrote:
> At 06:00 PM 11/30/02 -0600, Charles Steinkuehler wrote:
>>
>>Bradley Miller wrote:
>>> http://support.accesszone.com/newcomputer
>>
>>Thanks for posting the pics.
>>
>>- What chipset is used?  It must be pretty recent, since it supports 533
>>MHz FSB and 8X AGP, but I'd still kind of like to know what it is.
>
> You got me . . . I haven't been able to find too much on the specs. At this
> point it's a moot point because I LOVE the PC . . . just went through the
> "god how bad did I get screwed" ads in the Sunday paper and nothing can
> touch the specs on this one . . . plus I don't have to wait weeks for $$$
> rebates.

I hear that...I've been shopping around, and it looks like the price
can't be beat (or at least not by much), and there's "no assembly
required".  :)

I'm mainly interested in whether or not I can get linux to happily run
(without lots of kernel patches or driver updates), but suppose I could
just use the Aldi box for windows, and install linux on my current
windows box, if worst came to worst.  If I do buy one of these systems,
I'll try installing RH8 on a new HDD, and let everyone know what happens.

<snip>

> Speaking of fans, this thing is quiet . . . extremely quiet.  I thought it
> would sound like a buzz saw with the cooling for a 2.66Ghz . . .
>
> Suddenly my office is quiet(er) . . . ahhhhh.

Good to know...I guess the super-special extra-quiet technology they
pitched on the box actually works!  Saddly, my office already sounds
like a runway...I've got 3 1U intel boxes loaded with fans that drown
out the noise from my other 10 more conventional systems.  I guess it's
ear plugs for me, at least until I get an enclosed rack!

--
Charles Steinkuehler
charles at steinkuehler.net