Medion - pics

Bradley Miller bradmiller at dslonramp.com
Sun Dec 1 18:53:24 CST 2002

At 06:00 PM 11/30/02 -0600, Charles Steinkuehler wrote:

>Bradley Miller wrote:
>> http://support.accesszone.com/newcomputer
>
>Thanks for posting the pics.
>
>I'm thinking of putting together a new system, and might get one of
>these instead of the AMD system I've been pricing out, but I have a
>couple of questions I couldn't answer by reading the  empty box at
>Aldi's...maybe you can help?
>
>- What chipset is used?  It must be pretty recent, since it supports 533
>MHz FSB and 8X AGP, but I'd still kind of like to know what it is.

You got me . . . I haven't been able to find too much on the specs. At this
point it's a moot point because I LOVE the PC . . . just went through the
"god how bad did I get screwed" ads in the Sunday paper and nothing can
touch the specs on this one . . . plus I don't have to wait weeks for $$$
rebates.

>- What chipset is used for the embedded NIC?

Again -- I don't know for sure . . . I've tried to find out in XP, but
nothing really stands out.

>- While I'm at it, are they using a standard MoBo, or is it something
>that looks custom?

I'm thinking it's custom type -- although I haven't done enough research
for sure.  Since it has so many USB/Fireware/etc.... it's really nice
though.  I'm going to have to play with grabbing a few videos in a bit.

>- I was wanting to get a dual-head capable nVidea card, which this box
>comes with, but I wanted DVI output, for my not-yet-purchased flat
>panel.  Is there any way to get DVI out, or would I be stuck with buying
>another AGP card?  This may not be a big deal...since I'm not real
>worried about 3D performance (I need 2D cad performance, not 3D game
>framerates :), I think the GeForce4 MX will work fine for my needs, and
>I can pick up a dual DVI card for about $125.

??  There are a few slots open -- two now, but you could expand to three by
ditching the modem.

>and finally:
>
>- It looks like everything is built from standard components (ATX MoBo &
>PS, conventional expansion cards, etc).  Does it look that way to you?
>I'll probably pull everything out of the case and drop it in a 3U or 4U
>rackmount...as long as everything's pretty much "standard", I should be OK.

I don't know for sure on this one . . . I'm not up on the ATX cases and
that . . . this is my first new PC in four years.   (Thank God for Linux!)
 The tricky one would be the CPU cooler they use, vented out the round
porthole in the side.  A different cooler wouldn't be that big of thing.

Speaking of fans, this thing is quiet . . . extremely quiet.  I thought it
would sound like a buzz saw with the cooling for a 2.66Ghz . . .

Suddenly my office is quiet(er) . . . ahhhhh.

-- Bradley Miller