Medion - pics

Charles Steinkuehler charles at steinkuehler.net
Sun Dec 1 00:02:56 CST 2002

Bradley Miller wrote:
> http://support.accesszone.com/newcomputer

Thanks for posting the pics.

I'm thinking of putting together a new system, and might get one of
these instead of the AMD system I've been pricing out, but I have a
couple of questions I couldn't answer by reading the  empty box at
Aldi's...maybe you can help?

- What chipset is used?  It must be pretty recent, since it supports 533
MHz FSB and 8X AGP, but I'd still kind of like to know what it is.

- What chipset is used for the embedded NIC?

- While I'm at it, are they using a standard MoBo, or is it something
that looks custom?

- I was wanting to get a dual-head capable nVidea card, which this box
comes with, but I wanted DVI output, for my not-yet-purchased flat
panel.  Is there any way to get DVI out, or would I be stuck with buying
another AGP card?  This may not be a big deal...since I'm not real
worried about 3D performance (I need 2D cad performance, not 3D game
framerates :), I think the GeForce4 MX will work fine for my needs, and
I can pick up a dual DVI card for about $125.

and finally:

- It looks like everything is built from standard components (ATX MoBo &
PS, conventional expansion cards, etc).  Does it look that way to you?
I'll probably pull everything out of the case and drop it in a 3U or 4U
rackmount...as long as everything's pretty much "standard", I should be OK.

Thanks!

BTW:  If it works out, this system is slated to get RH8 and become my
new standard desktop system (I'm currently running win2K for my
desktop).  I can KVM switch for the 'doze applications I have to use,
but I'm hoping to be able to use a terminal server client running on
linux...I'll let everyone know how it works out.

--
Charles Steinkuehler
charles at steinkuehler.net