Thoughts about running as root

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Fri Aug 30 19:15:08 CDT 2002

I have done some damage as root. But I don't come from a sysadmin
background.
I always log in as a user and if I need root privilege I just su to root
and do what I need.
I have also altered my default sign on to give me the power I need as a
user to do some
none critically destructive things. Like burning a CD. I also have added
the kdesu to many of the GUI menu items that I consider to be the realm
of root. This forces me to think before acting.
"Do I really know what it is I am doing here?"
"Do I really want to do this as root?"
"Is it safe?" [pan to Dustin Hoffman]

$0.02,
Brian