Thoughts about running as root

zscoundrel zscoundrel at kc.rr.com
Sat Aug 31 03:43:35 CDT 2002

Safety is as good a reason as any, and so is impact on other users.

I find it really amusing when someone will preach about never-ever-ever
running as root, and then turn around and provide step by step
instructions that couldn't possibly be done without root access - and
fail to mention you have to be root to follow the instructions!

I always run under a user account and SU to do admin work.  Even though
the account I use has enhanced access levels, I have saved myself from
several stupid mistakes by running under user rather than SU.

Running under a user account actually helped to teach me what were root
privileges and the some of the differences between user duties and admin
duties.