Thoughts about running as root

Lucas Peet lpeet at eccod.com
Fri Aug 30 20:06:48 CDT 2002

I must agree with Brian here.

You're either one of two:  A user on the system, in which you use it for
everyday tasks, or the superuser.  When setting up the system from the
install, I have no problems doing *everything* as root - you need to be to
get it configured.  Once that's done, create a user and some groups, and up
his privileges to more of 'poweruser'.  (Access to the CD-RW, able to mount
floppies and some filesystems, etc...)  Then *use* the system.  If you come
across anything else that needs to be done, become root and do it.  Then
drop out of root and use it.

Not to mention that some things are required to be done as a normal user
(eg. rebuilding an RPM from it's SRPM)...

There are times when I'll be doing some admin stuff on my box, and decide I
need some help, so I hop on IRC...once I get logged in and see that I'm
still root, I'll drop right off, log back in as my normal user, and then go
back to IRC.  Plus, it's easier to be sure your system is secure, as any
permission issues you'll be able to spot a lot easier.

And especially if you have anything of any importance on the system, better
safe than sorry.  Otherwise...hope you run backups every day...

Now, if you're not spending much time in userland, actually using the
system, rather performing administrative tasks, you kinda need to be root to
do most of that.  But if you're running apps, using the wordprocessor for
your resume or what have you...no need for root.  A good rule of thumb is
"Do I really need to be root to do this?"  Try it with a normal user first -
if you can't, then do it as root.

I was the same when I started with Linux, but after a while, I decided that
if all those gurus and authors, etc... are telling me not to do it...they
must know something I don't.

Those are my thoughts on the subject...

-Lucas