Cell-Capable Modems

Duane Attaway dattaway at attaway.net
Thu Aug 15 20:43:27 CDT 2002

On Thu, 15 Aug 2002 KRFinch at dstsystems.com wrote:

> Hello all!
>
> Kinda off-topic, but I figured I would ask to see if anyone out there had
> some insights.  The idea got kicked around that my team might get a
> cell-capable modem to go with our new Nextel phone for the person on call.
> That way, whenever we get a support call, even if we are at the ballpark,
> we could go ahead and dial in.
>
> Any anecdotes anyone has on dialing in through a cell phone, I'm all ears.

I used to do this with a Nokia analog phone with a cell capable pcmcia
modem.  It worked at 9600 baud and ppp compression worked on top of that.
For ssh'ing, it was very fast.  Browsing the internet through a text
terminal was fast as a blink of an eye.  The experience with mozilla and
google searching was like a typical dialup on a slower day.  Not too bad.
The only problem was orientating the antenna away from the dead spots in
weak areas that happen to be every half wavelength of its 900MHz
frequency.  I have one or two of these modems if you want them.  One
dollar and they are yours.  I have the cable for an old analog Nokia.

The pcmcia card I saw yesterday at compusa had the cell phone built in.
It was promoted by Voicestream, so I don't know if it was tied into their
proprietary service.  That would be bad if you wanted a choice of
services.  I have heard of wireless subscriptions that don't need any
dialup.  This may be it, but I just glanced at what it was and didn't see
the details.