Cell-Capable Modems

Dustin Decker dustind at moon-lite.com
Thu Aug 15 22:06:45 CDT 2002

On Thu, 15 Aug 2002 KRFinch at dstsystems.com wrote:

> Kinda off-topic, but I figured I would ask to see if anyone out there had
> some insights.  The idea got kicked around that my team might get a
> cell-capable modem to go with our new Nextel phone for the person on call.
> That way, whenever we get a support call, even if we are at the ballpark,
> we could go ahead and dial in.
>
> Any anecdotes anyone has on dialing in through a cell phone, I'm all ears.

This one goes right up there with all those commercials showing an
overworked admin on the beach with a laptop and working.  The sad truth
is, I've tried it and it doesn't work.  (Ever tried to actually _see_
anything useful on an LCD in bright sunlight?)

If you can get past these obvious barriers, however, it might be cool.
Dustin

--
| Dustin Decker                     |
| http://www.dustindecker.com | He who knows not and knows that he      |
| Moon-Lite Computing         | knows not is ignorant.  Teach Him.      |
| 913.579.7117                | He who knows not and knows not that he  |
*-----------------------------| knows not is a fool.  Shun him.         |
                              | He who knows and knows not that he      |
                              | knows is asleep.  Wake him.             |