Cell-Capable Modems

David Rush david at davidarush.com
Thu Aug 15 19:54:47 CDT 2002

Kevin:

We've done it at work with decent success over Sprint PCS.  Gotta buy a
data cable for the phone, then pay an extra per-month fee for "wireless
web" (I think it's like $5/mo).  From there it "looks" just like a regular
modem, with an AT command set and all.  We set up a "dialer" just like it's
a regular modem.  Works okay.  Not fast, and the occasional dropped call
(no worse than voice, though).  Sometimes the data cable might
inadvertently come loose and cause a failure.
We set up regular land-line modems to dial into.

It can be a little fussy sometimes, forcing a second try to get a call
working, but we often keep a call up over an hour long, even mobile (at
slow speeds).  We run RedHat 7.x on Fujitsu Stylistic "tablet" PCs.

We've never tried it with NexTel.

David