Trustix Report

D. Hageman dhageman at dracken.com
Mon Nov 12 15:44:43 CST 2001

> Some of you folks may have tried Trustix before, but I can say as a relative
> linux newbie (only two years at it now), it is nifty because it restricts
> pretty much everything and you have to work to loosen up the security.  For

Good that is the way it should be.  Maybe I will have to check it out.

> example, no telnet server, only ssh, no cgi installed by default, etc, etc.

I wish it would install ssh by default though.  I don't necessarily view
that as a hole.

> Anybody make the Majordomo -> Mailman conversion before?

Sorry :-(  I

> Also, what is the general perspective on Postfix as apposed to send mail.

I used sendmail, but I know a lot use postfix.  Many say that sendmail is
very confusing to configure, but once you know the tricks I can generate a
good sendmail.cf in like two seconds.  Some also claim that postfix works
better under high loads - I haven't experienced any problems with sendmail
under high loads.  The biggest mail problem I have seen is when people set
their mail client to pop mail off the server every minute and they don't
purge old e-mails.  Once the spool starts to be a good size (couple
hundred MB) the machine starts to thrash itself naturally.  Implementing
quotas and educating users is the best way to prevent this from happening.

> Should I subscribe to Linux newbie instead?

Maybe you should subscribe to that *and* stay on this list.  More
information will never hurt anyone.  If you read the bible and are a
follower of that idealogy you will find that we sinned a long time ago to
have knowledge and awareness ... you might as well enjoy the sin since it
is a done deal ;-)

||  D. Hageman                    <dhageman at dracken.com>  ||