Trustix Report

Gerald Combs gerald at ethereal.com
Mon Nov 12 19:55:11 CST 2001

On Mon, 12 Nov 2001, Steve Johnson wrote:

> Some of you folks may have tried Trustix before, but I can say as a relative
> linux newbie (only two years at it now), it is nifty because it restricts
> pretty much everything and you have to work to loosen up the security.  For
> example, no telnet server, only ssh, no cgi installed by default, etc, etc.
> Pretty neat stuff, nice auto-update (swup) of software.  I have not tried
> installing any "other" packages yet, but am about to install a new verison
> fo python and a mail manager called Mailman.
>
> Anybody make the Majordomo -> Mailman conversion before?

I converted four lists last October.  Moving the subscriber list over was
easy - after setting up and testing the Mailman lists, I went to each
membership management page and pasted in the list of subscribers.

Migrating the list archives was a bit more difficult.  I archive messages
using MHonArc, and it took a little bit of tweaking.

> Also, what is the general perspective on Postfix as apposed to send mail.

After administering sendmail for 10 years, this is my perspective:

   Sendmail BAD.  Postfix GOOD.

Postfix is faster, more secure and easier to configure.  All three of
these criteria are particularly important for a machine serving mailing
lists.